- Adding a small amount of honey or sugar to the cooking water will add to the delicate sweetness of corn on the cob.
- When you need to ripen fruit quickly, place the fruit in a closed, but NOT airtight container like a paper bag with an apple
- Want green vegetables to stay green cook them for less than 7 minutes or add a tiny pinch of baking soda to the water
- If you toast walnuts in a 350° oven they will not discolor sauces or baked goods
- Onions become sweeter when cooked
- For the ideal juiciness and tenderness of beef cooking beef to 130-135°
- Searing a piece of meat benefits the flavor more than juiciness
- To determine how fresh an egg is…place raw egg in a bowl of water. If it sinks to the bottom it is fresh
- To boil the perfect egg, Place egg in cold water with about a tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let stand 15 minutes. It will have a perfect yellow yolk and peel easily.
- Did you know that the grey color around the hardboiled egg yolk is a sign that the egg is overcooked?
- Frying a egg? Stand the carton of eggs on their side overnight and the yolk will be centered on the white when fried.
- Older eggs have a higher pH level which makes them easier to peel.
- Black-eyed peas are really not peas, they are beans
- Pepper is the number 1 selling spice in the world and mustard is second
Q: Which fruits were crossed to produce the Nectarine?
A: None. The Nectarine is a smooth skinned variety of the peach.
Q: Which animals milk is used to make authentic Italian mozzarella cheese?
A: The water buffalo’s.
Q: What nation produces two thirds of the world’s vanilla?